As Senior Legal Counsel (or Legal Counsel), you will be a full-time, key member of our commercial legal team, including acting as the primary legal contact for our exciting new NuORDER B2B supplier platform business, working directly with the NuORDER executive team to grow the business. The main goals of this role are to advise our business partners on legal matters pertaining to both their day to day operations, as well as their broader strategic imperatives. Responsibilities involve the drafting, review, and negotiation of commercial contracts for enterprise-level customers, small and medium businesses, strategic partners, resellers, and suppliers, primarily but not exclusively for the United States and Canada.
You choose where you work. We want you to do the best work of your life - whether you choose to do that working in one of our offices, in a hybrid remote-and-office arrangement, or fully remote (North America).
What you’ll be responsible for
- Serving as the primary legal contact for our newly-acquired NuORDER business, liaising directly with their executive team, and working with brands, retailers, and partners to help grow the business.
- Serving as a trusted advisor to key stakeholders including the Sales, Marketing, Product, Technology, Support, Finance, and Information Technology teams;
- Assisting with litigation management, employment matters, M&A and similar transactions, corporate legal requirements, and other compliance matters, as needed;
- Developing processes, precedents, and new ways of delivering legal advice to most efficiently serve our business partners;
- Participating and developing legal training for colleagues and stakeholder groups;
- Developing, drafting, revising, administering, implementing and interpreting the company’s compliance policies, procedures and programs;
- Liaising with regulatory bodies and government authorities as required;
- Providing ad hoc analysis and supporting complex, cross-functional and/or multi-jurisdictional projects and special requests from the executive team.
What you’ll be bringing to the team
- At least 3-6 years of experience in a law firm and/or as in-house counsel
A portion of which has been devoted to hands on commercial contracting;
- Extensive experience advising on legal issues affecting businesses;
- Experience working under US law and related topics;
- Experience in contracts for both enterprise-level as well as small to medium-size customers, including large-scale B2B RFPs;
- Broad commercial and corporate transactional law experience gained in a fast-paced, preferably international, environment;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills including professional-level proficiency English and legal writing;
- Strong experience drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts, terms and conditions;
- Knowledge of and experience with GDPR, CCPA and other data privacy and cybersecurity matters;
- Strong knowledge of Commercial law, Contract law, Employment Law, and Data Protection/Privacy law; and
- Comfortable communicating with colleagues and stakeholders on different levels and with different professional backgrounds.
Who you are
- You are very comfortable with drafting, reviewing, and negotiating commercial contracts - it's your bread and butter!
- You are an analytical thinker and a pragmatic problem solver
- You are detail-oriented, autonomous, and able to take initiative
- You can handle a high volume of assignments
- You are motivated by new experiences and delivering a high level of service to your stakeholders
- You demonstrate a high standard of professional ethics and integrity
- You have strong interpersonal skills and you can bridge cultural differences
- You want to exchange ideas effectively and be a good teammate - we work as a team!
- You are curious and willing to improve
- You are eager to tackle all problems
Even better if you have, but not necessary
- Experience working in a fast-paced international environment, across different jurisdictions and languages;
- Experience working with cloud-based software and payments providers;
- Language in addition to English;
- Knowledge of and experience with IP, Fiscal (e.g., MEV), and Corporate law.
What’s in it for you
- This is your chance to play a key role in continuing to build out the legal function for a company that is still writing one of technology’s best success stories.
- Amazing benefits & perks, including equity for all Lightspeeders and a dynamic environment
- Opportunity to learn, expand your skill set, forge wonderful relationships and make your mark within the diverse and inclusive Lightspeed family.
- Supportive colleagues, strong culture of collaboration cross-functionally, cool tech law problems to solve on a daily basis.
NuORDER by Lightspeed is a wholesale B2B digital commerce platform serving clients that sell apparel, footwear, accessories, cosmetics, jewelry, sports equipment, outdoor goods, home goods, and kids and baby products. NuORDER is a multi-tenant SaaS platform that helps buyers and merchandisers in large and mid-sized organizations collaborate in their efforts to build a complete collection and conduct transactions. NuORDER offers an embedded payments engine, a digital catalog and native virtual showrooming functionality within the platform. In June 2021, commerce platform Lightspeed bought NuORDER to provide a unified commerce platform for retailers and suppliers.
We're passionate about enabling people to do their best work. Come work with us and find out what you can do!
To all recruitment agencies: Lightspeed does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. If we have not directly engaged your company in writing to supply candidates for a specific vacancy, Lightspeed will not be responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Where to from here?
Obviously, this has to be mutually beneficial: we want you to step into a role you love, and we want to offer you a place you’re proud to come to every day. For a glimpse into our world check out our career page here.
Lightspeed is building communities through commerce, and we need people from all backgrounds and lived experiences to do that. We were founded in 2005, in Montreal’s gay village and our original members were all part of the LGBTQ+ community. The ethos of our business has been about inclusion from the very beginning, and we strive to provide a workplace where everyone belongs.
Who we are:
Lightspeed (TSX/NYSE: LSPD) powers the businesses that are the backbone of the global economy.
Our one-stop commerce platform transforms and unifies digital and physical operations by enabling multichannel sales, expansion to new locations, global payments, financial solutions and connection to supplier networks. With the Lightspeed commerce platform, merchants in retail and hospitality can build thriving businesses for the future.
Headquartered in Montréal, Canada, Lightspeed is trusted by favourite local businesses, where the community goes to shop and dine in over 100 countries. Lightspeed has offices in Canada, the USA, Europe, Russia and APAC.
We’re passionate about enabling people to do their best work. We dream big and we’re looking for people who do the same. With us, career milestones happen often and we celebrate every one. Come work with us and find out where your career will take you at Lightspeed!